Voice of the LORD*. the LORD* has many ways to speak to us. He can make Himself heard by heathens and can even speak through animals! He can write to give a message, or give a message in a dream or vision. The following list outlines some of these, but do not limit God’s ability to communicate to this brief list.
Face to face: Exod. 33:11. And the LORD* spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And Moses returned again to the camp, but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, did not leave the tent.
Dream: Gen. 31:11. And the angel of God spoke to me in a dream, ‘Jacob!’ And I said, ‘Here I am.’ 12. And he said, ‘Lift up your eyes and see, all the rams which leap upon the flock are ring-streaked, speckled, and spotted, for I have seen all that Laban does to you. 13. I AM the God of Beit-El, where you anointed the pillar, where you vowed a vow to Me. Now arise! Get out from this land! Return to the land of your kindred!’”
Gen. 20:3. But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night and said to him, “Behold, you are but a dead man for the woman whom you have taken, for she is a man’s wife.”
Vision: Gen. 15:1. After these things the word of the LORD* came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be in awe, Abram! I AM your Shield! Your reward will be exceedingly great.”
- Fire: Exod. 3:2. And the angel of the LORD* appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush and he looked and, behold, the bush burned with fire, yet the bush was not consumed. 3. And Moses said, “I shall now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush is not burned.”
3:4. And when the LORD* saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the midst of the bush and said, “Moses. Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.”
- Donkey: Num. 22:25. And when the donkey saw the angel of the LORD*, it thrust itself to the wall and crushed Balaam’s foot against the wall and he struck it again. 26. And the angel of the LORD* went further and stood in a narrow place, where there was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left. 27. And when the donkey saw the angel of the LORD*, it fell down under Balaam, and Balaam’s anger was kindled and he struck the donkey with a staff. 28. And the LORD* opened the mouth of the donkey and it said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have hit me these three times?”
Still, small voice: 1 Ki. 19:11. And He said, Go out and stand on the mountain before the LORD*. And, look, the LORD* passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD*, but the LORD* was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD* was not in the earthquake. 12. And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD* was not in the fire. And after the fire a still small voice. 13. And it was so, when Elijah heard, that he wrapped his face in his mantle (prayer shawl) and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And, behold, a voice came to him and said, What are you doing here, Elijah?
Prophet: Jdg. 6:7. And it was, when the children of Israel cried to the LORD* because of the Midian, 8. that the LORD* sent a prophet to the children of Israel, who said to them, Thus says the LORD* God of Israel, I brought you up from Egypt and brought you out of the house of bondage; 9. and I delivered you out of the hand of the Egypt and out of the hand of all who oppressed you and drove them out from before you, and gave you their land. 10. And I say to you, I AM the LORD* your God. Do not be in awe of the gods of the Amorite, in whose land you dwell, but you have not obeyed My voice.
- Whirlwind: Job 38:1. Then the LORD* answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,
- Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? 3. Now gird up your loins like a man! For I shall demand of you and you answer Me.
- Urim & Tumim: 1 Sam. 30:7. And David said to Abiather the priest, Ahimelech’s son, now please, bring the ephod here for me. And Abiather brought there the ephod to David. 8. And David inquired of the LORD* saying, Will I pursue after this troop? Will I catch up with them?
And He said, Pursue! For you will absolutely catch up with them! You will certainly rescue them!
- Writing on a wall: Dan. 5:5. In the same hour, fingers of a man’s hand came forth and wrote over opposite the menorah on the plaster of the wall of the king’s palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote.
- Voice from a Cloud: Matt. 17:5. While he was still speaking, behold a radiant cloud overshadowed them, and there was a voice from the cloud saying, “This is My beloved Son, with Whom I have been well pleased: you must habitually listen to Him.”
12. Songs in the Night: Job 35:10. But no one says, Where is God my Maker, Who gives songs in the night.